Due to the audit not being released in violation of the Town Charter, I am providing you a sample of the issues I became aware of, and that was provided to the auditor so you can be an informed voter. Town management rather than take responsibility for orchestrated delay after delay is trying to say that my asking for a public audit committee meeting instead of a private one caused a delay which is nonsense. Last year a citizen was arrested for trying to read the audit report, this year Town Management is trying to delay the report till after voting, then attempts will be made to sweep under the rug like the other $500,000 in independent reports Dewey has faced.
I am also calling for the town to immediately hire a skilled financial employee. Mayor Redefer & Commissioner Bauer are running on the accomplishment of "saving money by replacing the finance director". Their accomplishment has been a disaster for the town, residents, and employees and actually cost the town more money.
- In July 2018, many employees received notices of cancellation for their life insurance policies. What steps did the town fail to do and what steps have been taken to fix the situation?
- The town didn’t pay its vendor bill in August 2018 causing the suspension of Parking Collection Accounts and an income loss.
- There doesn’t seem to be a review of payroll records each pay period. This allows errors to happen for people who depend on their paycheck.
- The town didn’t pay its own insurance bill on time in March 2019
- I sent an e-mail to the town manager on issues that I would think no personal e-mail should be used for the solictation of donations, yet a Dewey Beach Lifeguard’s personal comcast e-mail keeps on coming back.
- I sent the town manager 7 e-mails (7/19, 7/22, 7/25, 7/26, 7/29, 7/30, 7/31) to follow-up on questions I have on the town employee retirement plan with no response. The town has a fiduciary duty to perform tasks such as an annual review of fund choices. Is that being done?
- The town’s email system does not allow changes to passwords without several hours on the phone. Passwords are not being changed frequently- if at all.
- The Town still has a number of computers on Windows 7 which expires on Jan 14th, 2020.
- It’s not clear if any update patches are ever applied.
- Cybersecurity policies or procedures are lacking, putting the Town at risk.